POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Background transparent... : Re: Making Background transparent... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:04:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Background transparent...
From: Peter Popov
Date: 26 Sep 2000 23:36:04
Message: <ahq2ts48ia6keatkn6gf34ns5lae5itanc@4ax.com>
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:40:17 +0200, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

>"Peter Popov" wrote:
>> If the edge of red sphere on a blue background takes only 10%
>> of a pixel, then this pixel will have a color of <0.1,0,0.9> .
>> If you make it <1,0,0>, antialiasing will be totally useless
>> as no jaggies will be reduced.
>
>The jaggies will disappear when you view the image in a program that
>supports the alpha channel. I think my post in povray.binaries.images shows
>very well the advantage of the method I describe and the disadvantage of the
>current method.

*If and only if* you know the background color. And how about
sky_sphere? Say you want your sky reflected in a metal sphere and then
you want that metal sphere masked out, how will you proceed?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet