POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Spline issues : Re: Spline issues Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline issues
From: Mike Williams
Date: 17 Jul 2004 04:56:26
Message: <aYtKIBAxmO+AFwpi@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Mike Thorn who wrote:
>You probably recognize my name. This isn't my first plea. :) I was hoping
>you'd forget, so that you wouldn't remember those embarrasing goofs I made
>in replying to threads. If someone would be so kind as to explain to me
>exactly how to use the "Reply to Message" function, I would appreciate it!
>You may notice that I'm posting in .newusers now instead of
>...advanced-users. :)
>
>So I have another problem. I'll be the first to say the solution's probably
>right under my nose, but my eyes don't cross that far.
>
>So here's the issue: I have some splines defined for an animation that
>aren't performing as expected (and for no particular reason, so far as I
>can see). In this particular scene, I have some skeleton parts modeled that
>are scattered around the scene. While the camera pans around the exterior
>focussed on the centre of the scene, the bones fly and rotate their way
>together in the middle.
>
>I had little trouble defining my first spline (I've only done one since I
>figured I would wait to do the other 71 splines until I had one working
>right), but it seems like when I animate it, the objects don't follow the
>full spline. They come to a stop a little bit from the final destination. I
>even discovered this with the camera spline, tho it's not noticeable and of
>no consequence in that particular situation.
>
>You can look at my file at
>http://www.roboticsresources.com/AsISpoke118b.pov. I've only defined the
>skull and left arm splines for starters - they are located at line 23600.
>
>If there's someone who could tell me why this is acting this way, I would
>really, really appreciate it! I've been stumped by this problem for quite
>some time.

I can't seem to access that file. "Server does not exist".

Is it possible that you're using a cubic_spline and have missed the fact
that the end control points lie outside the spline:

   Note: Because of the way cubic_splines are defined: the first and
   last points are tangents rather than points on the spline,
   cubic_spline interpolation is only valid between the second and next-
   to-last points. For all other spline types, interpolation is valid
   from the first point to the last point. For t-values outside the
   valid range, POV-Ray returns the value of the nearest valid point.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure