POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help understanding Image Maps : Re: Help understanding Image Maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help understanding Image Maps
From: Kyle
Date: 25 Jul 2005 19:02:13
Message: <a3rae1hlbsr9nfjcsq7ia9ibbass8iq5j1@4ax.com>
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:03:09 EDT, "David" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>1) For the life of me, I can't get a PNG into POV that has a transparent
>background.  I want the logo to be over the top of a (POV) textured
>cylinder.  What settings should i use to get a Transparent PNG (or GIF, or
>?).

In GIMP, select Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel to add an
alpha channel to your png image.  Then select the background area and
hit Ctrl + K.  This will erase the area and you should see a
checkerboard pattern where the transparent area will be.  POV-Ray will
recognize this and make the area transparent as well.  See section
3.5.1.5.3 in POV-Ray help.

>2) The image that is mapped to the cylinder "reflects" onto the far side of
>the cylinder. This creates problems when i try to scale the image to the
>approprate size, as the two images (primary and reflection) smear each
>other.  How do I make it not reflect?

You need to use a cylindrical warp to wrap the pattern around the
cylinder.  See section 3.5.12.6.5 in POV-Ray help.  I have attached a
zip file that should help demonstrate all of this.

Hope this helps!

Kyle

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: