POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Helix, spiral : Re: Helix, spiral Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Helix, spiral
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 4 Sep 1999 18:51:39
Message: <a3fRNynw=m+7LmbLWut3JvbF4WV8@4ax.com>
On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:42:13 +0200, Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:27:18 -0500, Larry Fontaine <lfo### [at] isdnet>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to get a spiral or helical object without merging (or
>>blobbing) a bunch of primitives? And is there a way to get a helical
>>texture without an image map? I know there's a spiral pattern, but no
>>helical one...
>
>For a helix shape check out the Helix object in shapesq.inc that comes
>in all POV distributions.
>
>For a helix pattern, you can approximate it using a density_file. See
>the demo scenes that come with POV. If you need additional help with
>density_files, don't hesitate to ask.

You could also use Striscia  http://members.xoom.com/dvarrazzo/epov.htm

Look in povray.text.scene-files for "Kandy for Ken" on 28 June 99.  This is an example
of
wrapping a spiral pattern around a curve using Varrazzo's "Striscia" macro. The image
is
KandyCane.jpg in povray.binaries.images on the same date.
David

dav### [at] cwcomnet
http://www.hamiltonite.mcmail.com