POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polygon Sweeps : Re: Polygon Sweeps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygon Sweeps
From: Mike Williams
Date: 24 Feb 2004 14:12:03
Message: <a3Z+xHAc35OAFw6c@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Christopher James Huff who wrote:
>In article <403a4c62@news.povray.org>,
> "bongotastic" <cbl### [at] csdalca> wrote:
>
>>     Is there a way to do simple polygon/spline sweep rather than sphere
>> sweep? By this, I mean sweeping a 2D object along a 3D spline. I feel like
>> it should be there but I did not see this in the docs.
>
>There is no built in primitive that does this. However, you can do it by
>using the scripting language to build an appropriate mesh, and someone
>may have done an include file for this already.

Now that the web interface to news is back up, I can tell you that you
can get my SweepSpline macro which does that from

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C3fb73d9e%40news.povray.org%3E/

(The trick for finding the message-id, and thereby writing more direct
and shorter URLs seems to not be present any more, so you'll have to
make do with this long threadwise URL.)

For a polygon to work properly, you should make it a linear_spline and
ensure that its control points take values that are multiples of
1/Vpoints. E.g. if you tell the mesh to use 20 points around the
circumference, then you can set your control points to multiples
of 0.05

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure