POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oficina '99 : Re: Oficina '99 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oficina '99
From: Alan Kong
Date: 4 Oct 1999 22:04:30
Message: <Y1r5N8ZShA+ac9J=RCpCKPtbVbI=@4ax.com>
On 4 Oct 1999 06:04:27 -0400, Nieminen Juha <war### [at] cctutfi> wrote:

>  AFAIK this is a very common phenomenon. Almost all people who use 3DS a
>lot, specially if doing it professionally, will tell you a thousand and
>one excuses why povray is not good.
>  Often this happens although they have seen only a couple of (mediocre)
>povray pictures and they have heard that it's a text-based program.

  Warp, I've always felt that the software, be it POV-Ray, 3DS, Softimage,
or RenderMan, is but a tool for the artist. It's what that artist *does*
with the software that counts. I've seen some entries in the IRTC that is
more artistic and imaginative than the featured images in CGW (Computer
Graphics World) magazine but they don't devote any print space to freeware
ray tracers :(

  Putting the vast resources of Pixar or ILM into the hands of some joe (or
Jeanne) off the street won't automagically give them artistic talent. That's
a quality that some are born with and others, like me, strive to develop an
eye for.

--
Alan