POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : hollow in light groups : Re: hollow in light groups Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hollow in light groups
From: Mike Williams
Date: 20 Dec 2001 08:42:58
Message: <Y++xgGATlVI8Ew5O@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it TinCanMan who wrote:
>> Please provide a _short_ example.
>
>Odd, I'm not sure what's going on here.
>Try the following scene, the camera is not inside the box but is inside the
>sphere
>
>1) as is, the scene gives an error even though the camera is inside the
>sphere and the sphere is 'hollow' and not inside the box.
>2)comment out just the sphere and it's fine
>3)comment out just the box and it's fine
>4) add 'hollow' to the box and it's fine (the camera isn't even in the box)
>5) move just the box outside the light group and it's fine
>6) move just the sphere outside the light group and it's fine

It looks to me like the program needs to determine whether the whole
light_group is hollow or not, and it's doing it in the same way that it
does it for CSG. In a union or merge, the resulting CSG object is hollow
only if *all* the parts are hollow. I.e. substituting "union" or "merge"
for "light_group" in your code gives exactly the same effect.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure