POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Any chance of a new output format patch? : Any chance of a new output format patch? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:50:04 EDT (-0400)
  Any chance of a new output format patch?
From: Glen Berry
Date: 11 Sep 2001 02:25:56
Message: <Xq2dO+O5BMXd98APvq1aYvGaVQ5V@4ax.com>
Hello,

I'd like to be able to render high-bit-depth images to a file format
that is supported by Photoshop. The current support for PNG doesn't
result in a file that Photoshop can open as a "16 bit per channel"
image. Photoshop can open similar images in ".PSD" and ".TIFF"
formats, but not in any format that POV-Ray outputs.

I've been doing some film scanning in "16 bit-per-channel" mode
recently, and the improvement is often quite dramatic. It allows one
to dramatically alter an image using the "curves" and "levels" tools,
while maintaining the highest quality possible in the image data. Of
course the image is eventually converted to 8-bit-per-channel, but
doing as much of the manipulation in 16-bit-per-channel format as
possible is definitely a good thing.

So is there a chance of POV ever outputting a format that Photshop is
perfectly happy with? Perhaps even ".PSD" format?

If not, could we at least have a convertor that changes a
high-bit-depth POV-Ray file into a 16-bit-per channel ".psd" file?

Thanks for listening,
Glen