POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? : Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 02:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation?
From: ingo
Date: 15 Oct 2009 13:58:25
Message: <Xns9CA5CB2EB33B3seed7@news.povray.org>
Gentlemen,

being a trained photographer the whole gamma issu is becomming a bit of
a non issue to me, but alas

Gamma is a necessary evil. It has to be explained, so, yes a tutorial
is needed. The differences in output between 3.6 & 3.7 are of minor
importance to me. In the time since the 3.6 release I gues over 80% of
the users have switched from CRT to LCD that has no gamma at all. So an
old image will never look the same on a new monitor. The spread of
quality between LCD's I find quite big, so big a "gamma" adjustment
would be needed.

Digital imaging has progressed over time, digital camera's are commen
now. People will expect the "same" output of a renderer as from their
camera. So, I would suggest a simple setting for the user to choose
colour space, not just gamma. Most digital devise use sRGB now, so for
many platforms that would be the default. A special colour space could
be "linear" for a gamma = 1 output (it's been some time ago, but
doesn't the hf_gray setting automagically create gamma = 1 images).

For the common problem of gamma abuse in the past, for that "tone
control" or contrast control would be nice.

ingo