POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: ingo
Date: 19 Dec 2006 11:00:24
Message: <Xns989EACFFCF424seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:4587c656$1@news.povray.org Chris B wrote:

> There was a discussion about whether people should be required to use
> a standard size such as 1 POV-Ray unit = 1metre, but I think the
> consensus was that this would difficult to apply universally because
> very large scale (e.g. galaxies) and very small scales (atoms) can't
> reasonably adhere to such a standard. Furthermore, someone who is
> accustomed to working in Imperial measures could find it difficult to
> think in Metric.

Sorry, I wasn't able to follow all the discussions recently, so my
comment may have come up. Instead of standardising units why not require
a "small scale object" to fit in a centerd 1x1x1 pov-unit cube. Then any
user can scale the object to fit in a scene. For large scale objects one
could recuire it to fit in a 100x100x100 unit box. Or require that the
container for every object is defined in the #includefile (eventhough it
can be figured out using min/max_extent)

Thanks for the summary Chris.

Ingo