POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: ingo
Date: 15 Nov 2006 15:07:14
Message: <Xns987CD6D93A3Fseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.4558993a8d8f92ab3976a8750@news.povray.org nemesis wrote:

> Sometimes, i wonder why there is this feeling in the povray community
> that everything should be built from scratch.  What i mean is:  while
> povray is an excellent and very versatile software it comes with a
> very limited "standard library" of objects and textures and this sure
> hampers "code reuse".

Just some notes,

http://objects.povworld.org/ This project started quite some time ago,
but somehow never got real momentum. Few objects where submitted. Then
the collection wasn't managed for some time, etc...

Maintenance of includes can be(come) problematic over time. For example
my own Meshmacros, I haven't looked at them for at least two years, it's
sad. Same for some of the statistics stuff and sunpos in the standard
library. In the end, the team has to maintain it. No guarantee that I or
any of the other contributors will be around when the next release
comes. The POV-Team, and maybe the whole community, is too small to
maintain everything that could be put in.

Would a sourceforge like system be useful as an addition to a site that
collects inc's? I've been thinking about putting some of my includes up
there, or at google's equivalent, but I'd prefer to have them on the
povray.org

Would it be useful to create a repository like the above and add to POV-
Ray the option to #include from an URI?
#include "http://incs.povray.org/kitchens.inc"
And then somehow make sure that you include the right version of it ;)

Ingo