POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so : Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 12 Feb 2005 01:56:59
Message: <Xns95FB50C5BD4Araf256com@203.29.75.35>
tho### [at] trfde news:420d12db$1@news.povray.org

> and I would really wish people would just for once not argue over
> something they so obviously do not understand.  After having had the
> same discussion for the 10th time in five years, it is only annoying,
> nothing else

All other modern renderers can be extended rapidly by own shaders, plugins,
and so on. Why There is no such thing for PovRAY?

Yes, the problem with working on all platforms, I agree.
But how about extending macro/functions parser into minimal C parser (just
basic statement, few build-in types and thats all).

Then it could be interpreted on all platforms.

And - in addition - some could have possibility to nativly compile code and
use it to drasticly speed up rendering with advanced "shaders".

About compilation, PovRAY could go over each function, parse it manualy
(that is - check it syntax) and save result into

fun_pigment1.c   fun_mynormal.c  and so on, then it would call make to
rebuild thoes functions and some  call_external_function.c, and will link
it with rest of povray - it would take some time but it should be usefull
for big projects.

There are so many additional benefits and ways to explore such approach to
extending PovRAY functionality, I realy hope You would find it a thing tht
might be worth a try some day.

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/