POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion : Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Jan 2005 10:29:29
Message: <Xns95E5A7C24361jgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>

> "Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
>> Interesting idea, though you can do the same by using
>> projected_through with a lightsource less powerful light_source than
>> the current one. Look it up in the docs, it does just about what you
>> wants, although it will cast shadows when other objects are in the
>> way. Using "shadowless" would cure that problem as well.
>>

> You're right - it can be done by projected_through but it requires
> further operations:
> - you have to put second light in the scene - less powerfull one
> - declare the whole scene as the object to projected_through statement
> - remember to make the second light shadowless
> And raytracing time will probably increase, because you have two
> lights instead of one so each test for lighting will be done twice.
> I think the "shadow_darkness" keyword would be more comfortable and
> obvious for users.
>
> Greetings
> Przemek

What about simply putting a negative light colour for the light source,
and then some positive ambient light.
Then play with diffuse/ambient of the texture of the object.

--
This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.

When someone says "I want a programming language in which I need only
say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.