POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : change all textures : Re: change all textures Server Time
26 Jun 2024 16:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: change all textures
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 10 Jan 2005 11:27:47
Message: <Xns95DAB1BCBFAEFraf256com@203.29.75.35>
abx### [at] abxartpl news:cbm4u0dpjk4f5v2ubf9qv6s29v544c0hpn@4ax.com

> Which clearly means defragmentation of memory in larger scenes. I
> cannot predict how it could influence final performance but it would
> definietly happen.

I was told that fragmentation of memory was [a notacible] problem only on
16 bit systems. Perhaps a bit in DOS 32 DPMI or some old win98, but not on
modern OS. But,

> than wasting time for (de)allocation memory during parsing/rendering.

ok, a better idea:

object {
  skip_materials
  MyObject
  material { ... } // ((1))
}
#undef TheObject // ((2))

When creating a copy of MyObject, all textures will not be copy, they will
be replace with no-texture (NULL afaik?) instead, therefore they will use
the material ((1)). If one realy want to save memory then ((2)) line will
do it. So, where is make-copy-of-object-in-object{}-statemenr placed? I
should indicate that current object has "skip_materials" flag by some
global variable or is tere a nicer way recommended for it?

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/