POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color of image map in POVray image : Re: color of image map in POVray image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color of image map in POVray image
From: ingo
Date: 27 Nov 2004 14:18:08
Message: <Xns95AECE85E992Eseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:41a8bf51$1@news.povray.org William Pokorny wrote:

> Cool. So we can be reasonably sure Brigitte's scene file has an
> assumed_gamma statement other than 1.0 or that her image_map jpg
> specifies a gamma correction. [...]

No.

If an image looks fine in an imageviewer on a 'gamma 2.2' monitor, you
can be sure that a gamma correction is applied to it. An image with a
gamma of 1 would look dark on that monitor.

Now if we take that gamma 2.2 image and use it as an imagemap in POV-Ray
it will look to bright if the scene is rendered to a gamma of 2.2. The
gamma correction is now applied twice to the initial image. If the scene
were renderd to a linear gamma, the image map would look right. Brigitte
can try this by removing the line 'assumed_gamma = 1' from her scene.

To use images for imagemaps, you have to convert them to a linear gamma
(gamma=1).

Ingo