POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to render faster? : Re: How to render faster? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to render faster?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 13 Oct 2004 02:46:28
Message: <Xns95815942AC903jgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>

> Slime wrote:
>>> Hello. Is any way to put my radeon 9800 pro to render the scene in
>>> povray? Some script or else?
>>
>> No, POV-Ray implements the ray-tracing algorithm which is not used by
>> video cards.
>>
>> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard
>

> 3D cards do actually have some things which are useful to ray-tracing,
> like all the geometry transformation operations, and the ability to
> run the same code many times on different data very efficiently.  In
> fact I believe some people have already written ray tracers for 3D
> cards with pixel shader support.
>
> Maybe in the future there will be a way for POV to take advantage of
> some of these operations.

Unless PoV turn into a stupid triangle-renderer, as well as becoming non-
portable and very hardware aware, do not count on it (and it would at
best be a very marginal gain (not even warranted)).

Now, if you could increase your understanding of
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard , I think I would be
happier :-)

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.