POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Outputing floating point or 32-bits per color frame data : Re: Outputing floating point or 32-bits per color frame data Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outputing floating point or 32-bits per color frame data
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 25 Aug 2004 07:22:21
Message: <Xns95508862CD246raf256com@203.29.75.35>
war### [at] tagpovrayorg news:412c47be@news.povray.org

>   The original concern was that an ascii file would take too much space.

But there could be two * two versions of such output,
1) text integer (default: max = 255)
2) text float (default: max = 1.000 precision=6.6 scientific_notation=1)
3) binary integer (default: max = 255 round_to_bytes=1)
4) binary IEEE float (default: max = 1.000)

in 2) precision and scientific notation define output text format
precission.

In 3) round to bytes defines what to do with max=30000.
It must be rounded to next 2^n power, to 32768- so 15 bits per color
component. But it also could be rounded to next 2^(n*8) power so each color
component would be aligned to a char/byte.

I think I can write such patch. Perhaps someone will help me to connect it
to povcode - add parsing of tokens of command line for defining output and
connecting it to file output module.

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/