POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sound in 3d space? : Re: Sound in 3d space? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sound in 3d space?
From: ingo
Date: 16 Aug 2004 10:32:37
Message: <Xns9547A849D5568seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:41208e6f$1@news.povray.org Rune wrote:

> I can only code in Java. OpenAL is a "library"...

There is a java language binding for OpenAL, this means you can keep
programming Java and use OpenAL:
https://joal.dev.java.net/

A more complex option would be to use CSound http://www.csounds.com/
This is a software synthesiser that is controlled through its own
language, like we use SDL for POV-Ray. It has the option to read
soundfiles and manipulate them any way you want including spatial
effects. But it is hard to use if you're not familliar with all the
musical terms.

A non-free but cheap option could be to use QSound
http://www.qsound.com/2002/
They have a tool that to put a sound in certain position in space
http://www.3dsoundstore.com/www-3dsoundstore-com/product-qcreator.asp
But I doubt that it can be used for more than one sound at a time. It is
one of the best "spatial enhancers", for what can be done with their
technology listen to "Amused to Death" by "Roger Waters"

Ingo