POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 12 Aug 2004 16:02:41
Message: <Xns9543E095FF4B9raf256com@203.29.75.35>
ing### [at] tagpovrayorg news:Xns9542517FB8FF9seed7@news.povray.org

> Anyway, you did the right thing, contacted the team and asked their
> permission. You didn't get the awnser you hoped for, so be it. Others
> probably do it differently, they steal the code and use it anyway. What
> do you prefer, To still be able to output POV-SDL from your application
> to render with POV-Ray, or being a thief?

Most peoples would called me stupid, it would be quite easy to reduce,
change a bit, and recompile source code to hide it's origins. But thats not
my way :)

> Use your energie to write your application, not on "what could have been
> if ..."

Client had accepted my new idea of 3d visualization after all :)

I will use pre-rendered objects to put them on izometric 3D view. Some
special objects, like walls I will render myself. I will add some lighting
algorithms. So I will write own 3d engine, that will used sprites (bitmaps)
with pre-rendered objects from Pov-Ray.

I hope to achive image quality simmilar to that from The Simms game, (but
in higher resolution and with any type of rooms, also not-rectangular).

Signing of contract would be on monday probably, wish me luck ;)

Oh, and I will anyway put thoes Pov-RAY logos there, and in sooner or later
version - add .pov output, perhaps I will also add small changes to Pov
source to implement few special output formats (like - exporting the shadow
map and z-buffer) and I will try to make some part of my furniture objects
freeware.

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/