POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 11 Aug 2004 18:23:39
Message: <Xns9543471A71C7raf256com@203.29.75.35>
rgo### [at] lansetcom news:web.411a884c6ea4cf20a0c272b50@news.povray.org

> So basically you are upset because under the license you cannot make
> some money you hoped to make on someone else's work.

I was almost shure that PovRAY can be distributed, as long as source code
and credits are proviced, I must have mistaken it with some other software,
my fault.

There is nothing wrong _in general_ - programmers are making money on GCC
compiler, webmasters on Apache and GIMP, I just forgot about that
differences license is for PovImages, totaly different for PovRay it self.

> As is their right... but POV team also has right to develop as they
> see fit.

Yeap

> I find it quite useful as is.

In any case, maybe there is a good solution - an isometric pseudo-3d view.

It will
- give nice results
- have simplified radiosity/lighting engine (it is quite easy for izometric
view I hope)
- will use pre-rendered tiles and objects (as in for exampel Sims). It
would be a bit harder (since wals can have any dimensions, angles) but I
hope not so hard.
- use a big library of povray objects (that can be maybe released later as
*.inc freeware).
- doesnt reqiure me to learn OpenGL and make both mesh ans pure .pov
objects
- it still can *in addition* generate .pov file to make it possible for
advanced users to make real 3d scene out of it
- perhaps when this version is on the market program will have some chance
of beeing distributed someday with pov since it would be not essentional
extension then

One CD should have enought room to hold each object in different angles
(iometric view from 4 sides), top-view, and an icon.

Any suggestions?

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/