POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 11 Aug 2004 20:02:53
Message: <Xns95431543937E8raf256com@203.29.75.35>
SrP### [at] ricoswebcom
news:Xns9542B40AB2D62spammindspringcom@203.29.75.35

> thread, most likely due to the language barrier.  Here's what I
> understand Rafal was trying to do:

Thanx, good and simple summary.

> 1) Write a CAD program for designing house/building plans.
  1a) 2d graphics - like wireframe view from above and looking down
  1b) with isometric pseudo 3D view (from 4 sides, or from above), using
      tiles and other bitmaps rendered in POV. I will provide some simple
      radiosity, light and shadow calcultions written myself.

> 2) Allow the CAD program to export the drawing as a .pov file.
  In addition to .bmp export of 1a) and 1b)

> 3) Allow the CAD program to execute POV-Ray with the above file passed
> in and rendered automatically.
> 4) Be able to distribute both the CAD program *and* POV-Ray on the CD,
> so that the prospective user doesn't have to download POV-Ray
> themselves.

Yes. Or - to just put that povwin36.exe file on CD. We can also put some
PovRay banners on CD or even copy of www.povray.org, so it would be exacly
like going to that page - only more comfortable way - something like www
mirror on that CD.

> It seems to me that only number four goes against the POV-Ray license,

Yes, also point 1b) is o.k. (using only output).

> the rest is done by a number of other applications.  But his
> "distributor" won't allow the CAD program to be packaged without
> POV-Ray.

> For what it's worth, I agree with Rafal that this kind of distribution
> should be allowed.  In my mind it's very similar to modern games that
> distribute DirectX on the game CD, or other applications that
> distribute Acrobat Reader on the application CD for eading
> documentation, etc.

In fact perhaps point 1b) would be enought - I was told by PovTeam to write
own visualization code. Ofcourse I will not write a full raytracer, but
results of 1b) should be interesting.

P.S. I will soon put some drafts of program in off-topic and .binary.images

Thanks

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/