POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:10:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 10 Aug 2004 23:58:29
Message: <Xns95423D346F339raf256com@203.29.75.35>
spa### [at] raf256com news:Xns954238A8D4818raf256com@203.29.75.35

> For example - I was hoping that perhaps I will have chance to make a
> 3d editor my self some day. If my 2d house-planning software would be
> more closely integrated to PovRAY

...then perhaps I can make a small version of program like some PovHouse
that will be freeware (and will promote both my full program and PovRay)
and with ofcourse could be used by PovRay users with their own objects to
more comfortable create a nice house (something like PovTree for trees and
TerrainGenerator for heightfields).

> But I still dont fully understand philosophy of PovRay software. Other
> projects like Blender create software fundation, get lots of money
> from UE (AFAIK) and therefore can develope much quicker also greate
> software.

...ofcourse that was just one of examples (UE funding of interesting
free/educational programs), most open source and totaly free software gets
money for it development anyway.

I was so heapy about possibility of promoting both my program and PovRay -
for example online shop with this CAD program, and IRTC CD's (as a link to
povray.org), and CD with PovRAY + libraries (or almost free, just the costs
of recording it, or a bit more expensive so that there would be money for
povray.org - as PovTeam wishes), perhaps few nice zazzle images would be
created by the way, I will create a big object/furniture library (doors,
windows, lamps, tables, chairs, etc etc) and I was hoping to make a part of
it free and donate it to PovRAY.

> Is blocking usage of PovRay renderer a good thing to do?

...I will try to still make all thoes things, perhaps manual download of
PovRAY will not be so bad for out customers relationship...

In addition - I was told to make *first* an OpenGL renderer, so that PovRAY
will not be important... but why - if I would be making for OpenGL, then I
would use meshes instead of .pov files, so there would be no furniture.inc
library beause I don't have time to create each object in 3 versions - 3D
.pov, 3D mesh, and 2d shape icon.

In fact I was hoping a little for more optymistics aproach (yeah, PovRay
will be sell in shops as plugin to "normal" non-for-geeks-only program ;-)
and I was anyway going to make it as profitable for povray as possible
(logo in program and on program box, link to www, link to IRTC, povray as
standalone application that will be installed in same time and user will be
motivated to try it out, like "Did YOu Know... that out CAD Program uses a
fantastic 3d rendere, that is totaly free, for raytracing the final version
of project - run Start->PovRay 3.6 to try it now!").

In addition of some for-dummies manuls (i.e. links to some freeware 3d
wireframe pov editors, and perhaps to Moray, and *easy* instruction how to
use it all) - could result in perhaps hundrets (thousends maybe?) new users
from Poland to begin with, and later we hope to sell application also in UE
(perhaps USA some day?).

Also making some small/free version would be possible as I written before.

I dont know - maybe I'm too optymistics... I didn't hope that everyone will
help/congratulate/etc. me about possible one of most serious projects in
with PovRAY could be made important part, but I was hoping atleast to not
find such problems, sice I didn't have it with other free tools I use to
create my application.

But I hope to find a good solution, and perhaps this discussion can result
in help for others from this group that wish to use PovRAY is serious tasks
in future.

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/