POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : better radiosity in animation? : Re: better radiosity in animation? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: better radiosity in animation?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 1 Aug 2004 16:29:07
Message: <Xns9538E41F3BAAFraf256com@203.29.75.35>
sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi news:410d4a39$1@news.povray.org

> Could you post a totally _minimal_ and as small as possible scene
> (including the radiosity settings, of course) which shows the effect.

Every scene probably,

> I have the feeling that you are just using wrong kind of radiosity
> settings and the flickering might be the result of that. By altering the
> settings you might reduce flickering and even speed up the render times.

ok, simple scene with a box-room, with several windows in it walls and
celing, with sun (arealight) shining from above + sky_sphere light.

Everything, even plain walls (just simple rgb .7) are flickering, when
camera is moving. Room is about 100x100x100 units, and only moving
elemenent in scene are two small spheres (1 unit radius) and they are not
near light source etc etc, so realy oit should NOT flicker.

> I don't think your proposed method is a good way to solve it as it is
> based on assumption that povray's radiosity values are false and allways
> need to be interpolated. I think the only solution is to get correct
> (not 100% accurate, but satisfactory) values in the first place.

If adjusting radiosity settings in 3.6 will do it - I will be very glad :)

Currently I'm using:

global_settings {
  adc_bailout 1/64  max_trace_level 20

  #if (QQ_RAD) radiosity { brightness 1  gray_threshold 0  max_sample 2
normal on
    #if (QQ_RAD=1)
      adc_bailout 1/64 recursion_limit 3   count 35  error_bound 1.8
      minimum_reuse 0.015 nearest_count 5  pretrace_start 0.08
pretrace_end 0.04
    #end
    #if (QQ_RAD=2)
      adc_bailout 1/64 recursion_limit 3   count 80  error_bound 1.2
      minimum_reuse 0.014 nearest_count 7  pretrace_start 0.08
pretrace_end 0.04
    #end
  }#end

  #if (QQ_PHOT)
    photons {
      #if (QQ_PHOT=1) count 100*1000 adc_bailout 1/40 #end
    }
  #end
}

Flicker is visible both QQ_RAD = 1 or 2, and QQ_PHOT on and off.

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/