POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Groves in sphere : Groves in sphere Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Groves in sphere
From: no email@here sorry
Date: 17 Jul 2004 06:45:35
Message: <Xns952981CF4EA51noemailheresorry@203.29.75.35>
Hi,
I want to growe few rows on a sphere surface - how can I do it?

One of ideas would be to difference a sphere with a part of torus with same radius
and center.

difference {
  sphere { 0 R }
  intersection {
    torus { R 0.05 }
    box { ... } // only part of torus
    rotate ...
  }
  [... more intersections ...]
}

I would rather like to have my bups/groves in a .bmp file... so I need something
like height_field, but wrapped into a sphere (I will need only a small part of
sphere about 1/10th of its surface so distorsions aroud "edges" of sphere/texture
- is not a problem)

Other soulution would be maybe to use
sphere { 0 R  normal { bump_map { bmp .....
but I need very realistic results, normals are not enought.

Hmm maybe some isosurface (or parametric) - but this soulution is very slow...

Or maybe some macro to generate a curved heightfield from an pattern / image? (or
just to generate an HF-mesh, I will try to adjust it)  or any other sugestions..
:) ?