POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts : Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts
From: ingo
Date: 1 Jul 2004 15:54:45
Message: <Xns9519DEECA7560seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:40e45cdc$1@news.povray.org Ross wrote:

> (hypothetically) you are the developer of a GPL'd library I want to
> use. that is good enough for me to abide by your liscense choice.

For distributing a modified version of this library, yes. For using a
library in a program, no. Think POV-Ray and a hypotheticla GPL'd png-
lib.

> so do you use GPL'd software? or do you avoid it like the Plague? i'm
> just curious how deep your feelings go.

Why should I compromise my own freedom, as long as it is software that
does not make me put its output under GPL I use it.

> personally, i believe that if someone is going to make money off work
> I did, then I should get a little something in return, credit
> atleast.

That's personal indeed. For things "POV-Ray related" I couldn't care
less what anybody does with the code I publish. Just seeing people use
some of my includes gives me satisfaction enough, getting credit, or
even money for it dos not make that satisfaction any bigger.
I have no problem with giving credit when using someone else's code,
it's just a matter of politeness.

> Maybe my feelings are based in a subconcious desire for appreciation.
> However, it seems that people would be tempted to abuse things found
> in the public domain that aren't well known. By abuse, i mean
> repackage them surreptitiously for personal gain.

You can't abuse Public Domain :)

Ingo

p.s. Luckyly some people in France were wise enough to buy the
photography patents and make them Public Domain. Sadly a highly
intelligent american inventor was stupid enough to patent every possible
aspect of his companies inventions, it is in very rough waters now.