POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : BSP tree patch updates and web page : Re: BSP tree patch updates and web page Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:49:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BSP tree patch updates and web page
From: Alessandro Falappa
Date: 24 May 2004 04:06:02
Message: <Xns94F36796347alexfalappa@203.29.75.35>
<dsf> wrote in news:40b0fc9f$1@news.povray.org:

>> If I were you I would change the naming just to make sure to avoid
>> confusion when looking for algorithms and insights in the literature.
>
> Well, its not always referred to as a KD tree in the literature, for
> example:
> http://www.acm.org/jgt/papers/HavranKopalBittnerZara97/

I see. They call it an "orthogonal BSP tree".
Could you kindly send me, if you have it, an electronic version of that
paper (PS, PDF, any format...) or point me to a place where I can download
it? In the former case my address is alessandro(at)falappa(dot)net.

> That would be an interesting idea, though I'm not sure how practical.
> Since we both seemed to implement from the same paper there is much
> overlap in the implementations.  IMHO, my current implementation at
> least has a more modular and flexible interface.  His patch has a more
> efficient construction phase but allocates larger arrays.  My previous
> testing also seemed to show that my patch has better rendering time
> performance, though we really need an impartial judge to do the
> comparison and analysis :)

Well I meant you could try to merge your codebases, make a unified
interface: I believe that two developers working together are more
powerful than one (as teached by the Extreme Programming techniques)!

Cheers.

Alessandro Falappa