POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64bit windows compile? : Re: 64bit windows compile? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:03:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64bit windows compile?
From: Rich
Date: 18 Apr 2004 12:13:28
Message: <Xns94CF68063E126spammindspringcom@203.29.75.35>
Yes, I am using the beta version of Windows XP 2003 64bit, available for
free from Microsoft to anyone willing to download it (or pay a small fee
to recieve it on CD).

From what I've heard on the WindowsXP64 board, compiling with the
optimizations intended for 64bit, or possibly for the AMD64 particularly,
will increase program execution speed dramatically.  That's what I
expect, along with a better/faster/more efficient numerical precision
when using really small, or really large, parameters in object size,
placement, etc.

I am a web developer using c# and asp...  I don't know much at all about
compiler optimizations other than what I've read.  What's being written
is that a program compiled to 32bit will run at simliar speeds on an AMD
XP and an AMD64 rated similarly.  When that same program is compiled to
64bit, using the optimizations intended for 64bit, the program will run
significantly faster on the 64bit processor (and not at all on the 32bit
processor).

If I'm wrong, then so are a lot of developers posting on the WindowsXP64
board.  <shrug>  I'm already getting a big boost over the Athlon XP 1800+
I was running POV on before, so I'm very satisfied with my upgrade.  If
there's even a slight possiblity that compiling with 64bit optimizations
will result in faster code execution, why wouldn't I want to try it?

As soon as .Net is able to be run on Windows XP 64bit, I'd be willing to
attempt the compile myself (hopefully with help from this group! :).  If
there's a freeware compiler that can do 64bit executables on Windows XP
64bit, I'd be willing to try that route also.

Rich