POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.6 expiration again... : Re: Pov 3.6 expiration again... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.6 expiration again...
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 1 Apr 2004 11:16:11
Message: <Xns94BEB986958D3raf256com@203.29.75.35>
war### [at] tagpovrayorg news:406c02d4@news.povray.org

>   However, this isn't true. There's no official POV-Ray 3.6 release.

You realy think that I do not understand what beta version is?

I only dont understand why such greate program must also follow philosofy
of "greate" programming companys (like micro$oft) - that the program knows
better then user what is good for him, and all users are stupid and
shouldnt be allowed to do some thing just because program knows better.

ofcourse I just change date for a second and this is not a problem
especialy while Pov checks date only at startup and I restar my computer
about once in a month, so - I'm not complaining, I'm only reporting that
this behaviour of program is irritating probably for some users, not only
me.

Chances that one could not install old 3.5 and needs to use installed pov
(3.6) *right now* are small, but are notacible.

This is *just* a sugestion ofcourse authors will do what they think is
best, I only can say that personaly I would add instead dialog box:

WARNING - read carfule!
This is a *beta* (test) version of program.
Please do NOT use it anymore and check www.povray.ord/download/ for final
version instead.
If You rely need this beta, unstable test-version, they You may use it by
writting "forcebeta" in this dialog box, or by adding it as commandline
paramater.
Please remember that this version have BUGS that You can NOT REPORT
anymore, since this beta version is OUT OF DATE now.

[Get new version NOW]  [Quit]  [Use unstable BETA]

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/