POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray for reflector design? : Re: povray for reflector design? Server Time
19 May 2024 04:05:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray for reflector design?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 28 Mar 2004 21:40:48
Message: <Xns94BB2F8FA9419raf256com@203.29.75.35>
cre### [at] montanadslnet news:40678a21$1@news.povray.org

> I would like to know if Povray could be useful for modeling candidate
> reflector geometries.

Yes,

> For example, if I define a tank object, reflector object(s), and a light
> source(the sun), will Povray not only show the light that shines
> directly on the tank from the sun, but also show the light that is
> reflected onto the tank by the reflector?

yes it will, this is done by the Photons special effect.

> If the answer to the question above is true, than I could use a series
> of light positions to model the path of the sun through the day, and see
> the resulting reflector performance?

again yes, You might want to write script to calculate X,Y,Z pozition of
sun, or input data from external file

> I am only interested in seeing the pattern of light that results from
> each candidate reflector geometry -- I do not need Povray to show light
> intensities that are exactly true to the physics.

POV will probably do both things quite accurate

> As is probably obvious, I don't know much about Povray, but did use it
> years ago for a couple problems, and remember being favorably impressed
> by its capabilities.  I am hoping that a Povray "guru" can take a quick
> look at my problem, and tell me whether its worth relearning enough
> Povray to give it a try.

Btw, I'm writting to Yours email from adress - me {at} raf256 [.] com (in
case You are using anti-spam filters etc)

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/