POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fu*ing photons and memory managment : Re: fu*ing photons and memory managment Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fu*ing photons and memory managment
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 23 Feb 2004 17:29:35
Message: <Xns9498EEF24B5D0raf256com@203.29.75.35>
tho### [at] trfde news:403a7989$1@news.povray.org

>> It realy is irritating in PovRay 3.6 how it can hang entire system
>> (in 3.5 also, but in 3.6 this effect is stronger).

> The effect you describe is not something POV-Ray is causing  If your
> OS is too stupid to correctly give priority to other processes while
> one application requires a lot of swap space, change your OS.  You
> cannot blame POV-Ray is your hardware and OS are not up for the scenes
> you want to render.  In fact, there is absolutely nothing POV-Ray
> could do about it other than refusing to render the scene at all.
> Sorry!

Yes, I agree that OS should handle this situation better.

But - PovRay could take this into accound and allow an option to correct
stupid OS behavior.

Setting hard memory limit could be step one, and I guess it's realy easy to
implement. It will just refuse to render, but it will save stress frome
users who set to high quality/photons (by mistate) or mis-calculated needed
memory limit.

Second thing - detecting to stron swapping and forcing sleeping then also
is something that can be done probably?

I'll try to implement hard memory limit, can I download code of pov 3.6 for
VC++? If I'll implement this in next 2 weeks (much real-life) will it has
chance of beeing in final 3.6?

Btw my friend with start to play with Pov, find simillar problem very
iritating,

#local I=1; While (I<1000)
  box { ... }
#local I=I-1;  #end

this infine loop (made by mistake -1 instead of +1) wil cause simmilar
problems, and adding memory limit, and more often check if STOP button was
pressed in POV_ALLOC (afair) parsing, and photons code will help

--
#macro g(U,V)(.4*abs(sin(9*sqrt(pow(x-U,2)+pow(y-V,2))))*pow(1-min(1,(sqrt(
pow(x-U,2)+pow(y-V,2))*.3)),2)+.9)#end#macro p(c)#if(c>1)#local l=mod(c,100