POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Tom Galvin
Date: 20 Dec 2003 16:14:34
Message: <Xns9457A521DDEB6tomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in

> That's probably true. But I think, that I learn more by working with
> POV-Ray. I learn things, that I probably wouldn't learn if I was hired
> by a company to make something as fast as possible.

You are preaching to the choir ;)

> Many such people are excellent artists that can draw by hand. But
> they aren't technical geniuses.

Many(but not most) of the folks in the "industry" that I have met were an
interesting blend of artistic and technical.  Where they fit into the
production pipeline determines the skillsets they need.  Take a look at
three current openings at Blue Sky Studios to see what I mean.

http://www.blueskystudios.com/jobs/ads/rnd.html
http://www.blueskystudios.com/jobs/ads/td_lighting.html
http://www.blueskystudios.com/jobs/ads/character_animator.html

The decision criteria of what tool to use is ultimately economic.  What
is the return on investment? Maya, Adobe, Avid and others are pervasive
because they reduce production costs, and often provide a competitive
edge in product quality.  Simple as that.  In most cases, POV-Ray would
be a very expensive tool to use.

--
Tom