POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "scale" again... : Re: "scale" again... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "scale" again...
From: Marc Champagne
Date: 11 Sep 2003 08:38:58
Message: <Xns93F357B7A1E8AnewsATctldirectDORco@204.213.191.226>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote in news:3f5fef88$1@news.povray.org:

>>     scale 10 + z * 30
>
> This is equivalent to
>
> scale <10, 10, 10> + <0, 0, 30>
>
> or
>
> scale <10, 10, 40>
>

>> Without testing I would assume the following 2 lines will do the same
>> as above:
>>
>>     scale <10,10,10>
>>     scale < 1, 1,30>
>
> No, the above is equivalent to
>
> scale <10, 10, 300>
>
> You'll get used to these sort of vector additions with a little
> practice, and you'll be able to quickly identify what an expression
> evaluates to.

I rest my case :)

Well it turns out that

    	scale <10, 10, 40>

is a lot more readable and less open to misinterpretation than is

    	scale 10 + z * 30

There is just the problem, clarity gone out the window.

It's just frustrating that such a simple instruction can be so complex
and hard to read.

Thanks

Marc