POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : To: The POV team On: Exact terms of the license : Re: To: The POV team On: Exact terms of the license Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To: The POV team On: Exact terms of the license
From: None
Date: 20 Aug 2003 11:50:00
Message: <Xns93DD786284377None@204.213.191.226>
"Tailkinker" <gro### [at] yahoocouk> wrote in
news:pan### [at] yahoocouk:

> I am in the process of writing a fractal landscape program.  This
> program exports POV code.  It is freeware, and I cannot see myself
> ever charging more than the cost of the distribution.
>
> So:  If I roast a copy of the program on CD for a friend, am I legally
> allowed to place POV-Ray on the CD?

A little reading goes a long way...
http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html

See: "CONDITIONS FOR CD-ROM DISTRIBUTION
CONDITIONS FOR SHAREWARE/FREEWARE DISTRIBUTION"
and "CONDITIONS FOR COMMERCIAL BUNDLING"

How much more exact do you want them to be?

If you can't be bothered to read: Basically you can't charge for Povray.
 And if you are distributing it on CD as part of a freeware bundle, you
can't charge a distribution fee for CDs containing Povray of more than 2
cents per MB.  But you really should read the license to get all the
details.