POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : height_field question : Re: height_field question Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height_field question
From: Marc Champagne
Date: 17 Aug 2003 21:52:21
Message: <Xns93DADE2D456F3POVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in

> "Marc Champagne" <nos### [at] pleasecom> wrote in message
> news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
>>    height_field {
>>       function 300,300 {pattern {bumps scale 0.1 translate
>>       <1.0,0.3,0.0>}}
>> What concerns me first is the use of "function" above, If I interpret
>> this correctly, the "function" replaces (([HF_TYPE] "filename" ))
>> right?
>>
>> Secondly, I havn't a clue as to what the 300,300 does right after the
>> "function" keyword.
>
> Hey there, Marc.
>
> Well, it's from MegaPOV. Convenient way to get a pattern into a HF
> without the need for an external image file.
>
> The 300,300 is same as image resolution, although still within the unit
> size of HF.
>
> If you look at section 10 (10.1.8, to be more precise) of the Doc you'll
> find a link within the HF usage which leads to the function image usage
> and finally a link (Jump to SDL) which describes it's use. Or shorter
> route, section 6.7.11.16 Function Image.

Kinda confusing at times.

> Apparently, has yet to be edited to show in the HF description for the
> upcoming release of 3.51 near as I can tell so I'm glad you posted here
> about it.

The manual is a bit like a jungle, sometimes hard to find your way
through.

I don't really like how the manual is setup, but then again who is to
complain... POV-Ray's only cost is time and effort.

Thanks for the info.

--
(MIKA) Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca