POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : SMPOV & Hyperthreading : Re: SMPOV & Hyperthreading Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:48:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMPOV & Hyperthreading
From: ehmdjii
Date: 9 Aug 2003 05:54:51
Message: <Xns93D27932DE3F6ehmdjiiNOSPAMgmxnet@204.213.191.226>
> I'd like to know if someone has tried something like this with
> "Hyperthreading" and can report if rendering shows a significant
> speedup or not. I assume it should be less, then with two real CPU's
> IF POV-Ray keeps the FPU's busy.

hello,

yes, i have tried it on a P4 3.06 GHz
and i get about 166% of the "normal" time.
it varies very much depending on what image i render.
maybe i can post some testings with optics.pov...
also, it depends very much on how you tile the image.

your tool is really great, though i think it misses some little features
like for example a full command line. how could i ever use +am2? :-)

and what about a documentation?
what is the channel output for?

thanks,
ehmdjii