POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What is news.povray.org trying to do? : Re: What is news.povray.org trying to do? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is news.povray.org trying to do?
From: None
Date: 5 Aug 2003 23:11:53
Message: <Xns93CEEBF752FD1None@204.213.191.226>
Tim Riley <tim### [at] netscapenet> wrote in news:3f30388b$1
@news.povray.org:

> Has anyone experienced this? Some time after I've checked the newsgroups
> on news.povray.org (up to an hour later), ZoneAlarm detects that
> news.povray.org (204.213.191.226) tries to access ports 1070 and 1066
> [...]

Probably just the news server timing out your connection.  Some news
servers have a default timeout of one hour.

When you connect as a client to a news server (or any other server for that
matter), your PC picks an available port to which the server can send data.
You connect to a server's service port, but to send data back to you, the
server needs a client port to send it to.  These client ports are
arbitrary.  So while you might connect to the nntp port (119, I think) on
the server, the server sends you back data on an available port selected by
your PC (usually higher than 1023 (the "well known ports")).