POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fast preview for complex isosurfaces - 2 attachments : Fast preview for complex isosurfaces - 2 attachments Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:53:52 EDT (-0400)
  Fast preview for complex isosurfaces - 2 attachments
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 26 May 2003 18:34:13
Message: <Xns93886D351DEDtorolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
I have experimented a little with Ryoichi Suzuki's
"Density_File Extension Patch", available here:

http://staff.aist.go.jp/r-suzuki/e/povray/iso/df_body.htm

This POV-Ray patch has a feature for sampling functions
and storing the result in a density file or in a pattern.
(The patch will interpolate values when "reading" back
values at locations between the sample points.)

I have used this feature to sample complex functions for
isosurfaces and store the results in pattern functions.

When these sampled functions are used in isosurfaces they
render quite fast compared to the functions I started with.
(I have experienced 3 to 6 times faster renderings.)

The "previews" give a very good indication of how the final
isosurface shapes will be.

I have enclosed two images to illustrate the results.

The image marked FINAL rendered in 2 minutes and 33 seconds,
while the image marked "PREVIEW" rendered in 47 seconds.

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'MultiRotIsoModified02_09_ .jpg' (26 KB) Download 'MultiRotIsoModified02_10_ .jpg' (28 KB)

Preview of image 'MultiRotIsoModified02_09_ .jpg'
MultiRotIsoModified02_09_ .jpg

Preview of image 'MultiRotIsoModified02_10_ .jpg'
MultiRotIsoModified02_10_ .jpg