POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spheresweep problem : Spheresweep problem Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Spheresweep problem
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 6 May 2003 13:52:05
Message: <Xns9373CA1FF9BCCraf256com@204.213.191.226>
I wanted to use sphere_sweep to generate a scalled torus, like
  torus { 10,5 scale <4,1,1>
*but* I wanted it's section to be a circle (and not to get deformed)
- so I wanted an cylinder wrapped into elipse shape.

But usig sphere sweep didnt help:
  http://www.raf256.com/3d/torus_as_spline.jpg

as we see in "yellow" segment - section is deformed.

is this a bug or a is this expected behaviour of sphere_sweep?

Sweep is build from points spaced equaly along scalled torus shape:

  sphere_sweep {
    linear_spline  //cubic_spline
    #local E=45/4; // precission
    (360/E)+3
    #local I=-E; #while (I<=360+E)
      vrotate(<0,0,Major>, <0,I,0>)*Scale, Minor
    #local I=I+E; #end
  }