POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free : Re: Amapi is free Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amapi is free
From: ingo
Date: 17 Apr 2003 16:54:36
Message: <Xns9360E9807D6Cseed7@povray.org>
in news:3e9efa16@news.povray.org Andreas Kreisig wrote:

> I don't know Amapi (just tried it a view month ago) but generally a
> modeler will allow you to make organic and / or realistic looking
> objects. You can't do that with POV-Rays SDL.

I have to disagree! Anything can be done in SDL, if you have the right
macros and a lot of time. On the other hand the same can be said of
doing something simple in SDL that turns out to be something complex
with a modeller. There actually may be a reason for the fact that more
and more GUI modellers also incorporate a scripting language.

> Most images posted at
> p.b.i are nice, some are quite impressive, but none are really
> realistic.

Please define realistic.

> In my opinion the SDL is not very well suited to build a
> scene. Not worth mentioning that this is a very unnatural way to
> create something.

Yet again I have to disagree. SDL can be seen as a modelling language
or as an intermediate format between a GUI and the raytracer. If you
export your Maya models to POV-Ray, however "realistic" they are,
you're still using SDL.

> So if you just want to create
> some kind of 'interesting' images, SDL is okay.If your goal is
> realism, you should forget it.

Again, define realisim.

Ingo

ps. I'm not advocating the pure use of SDL here, POV-Ray IMO is 'just' a
tool to get a result. To get that result I may, or may not, use other
tools. And realism is IMO not the holy grail of graphics, ever seen a
negative light source in reality. No? Yet in POV-Ray you can use them.