POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Practice makes perfect ? : Re: Practice makes perfect ? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:35:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Practice makes perfect ?
From: ingo
Date: 16 Apr 2003 17:08:18
Message: <Xns935FEBD24E925seed7@povray.org>
in news:3e9db9ba$1@news.povray.org Mahesh Padmanabhan wrote:

> Ahh, so your usage has been to use SDL for post-processing of complex
> scenes created with a modelling program.

I wouldn't call it postprocessing, it's more like photography. You don't
expect the photographer to sculpture every piece that he uses in a
still.

The works of Gilles Tran are a good example for this, in his early work
he modelled a lot him self, in his late(est) work he even uses
completely ready made objects (due to lack of time). Yet, still all his
work has this "Tranesque" look and feel.

I compare the SDL to a very special kind of glue, with it you can use to
stick together all kinds of objects from all kinds of sources, or, on
the other side of the spectrum, you can do a complete scene with it as
if it where a kind of clay.

In this regard, POV-Ray is a very versatile tool.

Have fun finding your way of using POV-Ray,

Ingo