POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Practice makes perfect ? : Re: Practice makes perfect ? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Practice makes perfect ?
From: ingo
Date: 16 Apr 2003 15:15:45
Message: <Xns935FD8BCF38A0seed7@povray.org>
in news:3e9da0c8@news.povray.org Mahesh Padmanabhan wrote:

> What I don't understand is how SDL can be used to create complex scenes
> with trees, people, faces etc.  [...]

The people that (want to) do everything in SDL have great Persistence. A
feeling for spatial properties and math may help. Doing it all in SDL is
often seen as a challenge by these people.
In general though, I think one can say that the majority of users uses a
mixture of tools to get a result. Complex objects are made with a modeller
or a very specific *.ini file. Then the compostion, texturing and lighting
etc. is done in SDL.
My route in using POV-Ray was, first figure out how SDL works, then
download every available (free) application that exports to POV-Ray. After
a while I noticed that I only used a few of those. The rest is deleted.
After toying around for a year or two, you'll see that you have collected
a small but powerfull toolkit.
In the end, it's the image (result) that counts, not the tools you used.

Ingo