POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Object Handling for Water-Surface-System : Re: Object Handling for Water-Surface-System Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Handling for Water-Surface-System
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 27 Mar 2003 12:43:31
Message: <Xns934BBEAC03040torolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in

> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I still do not understand what
>> you meant by "function based transforms".
>
> Well, i meant to base a transfor on a function.  The syntax would be
> like:
>
> transform { function { ... } }
>
> and the function would have to be a vector function with three
> parameters (just like a transform function).
>
> transform { function { transform { ... } } }
>
> would therefore be the same as
>
> transform { ... }
>
> The nice thing would be you could do things like averaging (as
> explained).  Of course this is not implemented yet and i am not even
> sure if it would work under all circumstances (at least nonlinear
> transformations would lead to strange results).

So this sould enable users to do the same thing
to other primitive objects as we can do to iso-
surface objects today ?

That would be great.

But wouldn't it lead to difficulties determining
the intersections between the "tracing ray" and
complex CSG objects ?

And how should the bounding shapes be determined ?

Tor Olav