POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MLPov crash with HDRI : MLPov crash with HDRI Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:01:07 EDT (-0400)
  MLPov crash with HDRI
From: Helen
Date: 6 Mar 2003 18:33:04
Message: <Xns9337FFF86Chelentrhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
I have been using mlPov for some time with Terragen generated HDR images
(either mapped on a cube or assembled with Sean O' Malley's cube2cross
program  http://www.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/). It always crashes when the HDR
image (lightprobe) is wider than it is tall with map_type 7 for a sphere.
No problem with map_type 1, which works with latitude/longitude
projections. This is minor and easily fixed.
The one I have a problem with, is that it seems to be crashing with an
access violation, when the image is large. With a 4 Mb HDR image, it works.
With a 12 Mb or larger one, it crashes. I haven't yet found the exact size
where this happens. The 4 Mb image is the one that comes from 400X400 px
cube frames and the 14 Mb one from 800X800 ones. And I was hoping to be
able to use even larger ones! The small frames show a pixelated background
in wallpaper size renders.
It is not a memory problem, since I have 512 Mb and the program rarely uses
more than 150, even in complicated scenes. My system is Windows NT.
Is this a known problem? Is there something that can be done?
Help? Ideas? Suggestions?

Helen