POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : Upcoming Books? : Re: Upcoming Books? Server Time
30 Apr 2024 21:42:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upcoming Books?
From: Tom Galvin
Date: 2 Jan 2003 09:42:55
Message: <Xns92F762C119649tomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"ZSpider" <zsp### [at] gtenet> wrote in news:3e132356@news.povray.org:

> Looks like the outlook for a new POVray book is pretty dim, doesn't
> it? That's too bad.  I big fat juicy book would really help spur
> interest in POVray.
>
> Miker

Wow! Are you a mind reader?  I am actually considering taking on this task.
I would be going the self publishing route.  I have been debating between
three possible approaches.

A) Standard Computer Manual - Similar in format to the previous POV-Ray
books.  This approach is the least appealing to me as it would to a large
extent be a rehash of the documentation.

B) Animation Cookbook - A series of "recipes" for different animation
techniques and challenges.  This approach is the most probable, but my
second favorite.

C) Coffee Table Book for Geeks - Large format (10 x 14) hard cover book
containing full color plates of POV art with the facing page detailing the
artists techniques along with pertinent code.  A CD-Rom would probably be
included. I would solicit artwork from the community.  This is my favorite
but I need to investigate publishing costs more.  I fear it may not be
practical for self publishing.

Any thoughts?
Tom