POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #read file directive... problem? : Re: #read file directive... problem? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #read file directive... problem?
From: Marc Champagne
Date: 23 Nov 2002 21:05:14
Message: <Xns92CFD67F66EBCPOVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote in

> What's unclear about this sentence? Does it mention line-by-line
> reading or anything?
>
> "The format of the data to be read must be a series of valid string
> literals, float literals, or vector literals separated by commas."

I agree Peter, there is no mention of "lines", but there is also no
mention that white space between fields are ignored.

It's not common in the "Windows way" of handling files (and am by no
means trying to justify it either).

Being a Xenix/Unix buff for (wow, shesh, i'm getting old) 18+ years now,
I have no problems in dealing with file structures, I have seen many
horrors (especially from the Microsoft generation).

I still don't like the 1 liner above to describe a file structure.

I managed to figure it out myself, as I do many times a week at work,
but for the average joe, he/she will most likely make the same
unconscious mistake I did.....defacto-windows-way-text-file.

Much obliged
--
(MIKA) Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca