POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows XP question, kinda dumb : Re: Windows XP question, kinda dumb Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:51:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows XP question, kinda dumb
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 7 Nov 2002 10:58:19
Message: <Xns92BFAC5E4BFA4PhiLho@204.213.191.226>
Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in

> Yeah.. Auto indent is one of the things you have to turn on manually,
> then get the right combo of setting for it to work correctly. My
> suggestion is:
>
> tabsize=2
> indent.size=2
> use.tabs=0
> indent.automatic=1
> tab.indents=1
> backspace.unindents=1
[snip]
> About the only thing that really bugs me about SciTE is the lack of
> any extra color settings. While rare, there may be cases where you
> have a client that employs say VBscript and has its own command set.
> Being able to color an 'extended' set of such commands without
> recompiling the whole bloody lexer is a major pain. Of course you can
> just add the needed commands to the main list in the properties file,
> but you can't color them correctly that way.

Some lexers have provision for additional keyword styles, that's my
preference, but some others, like the VB/VBScript one, just allow one set
of keywords. This can probably be easily implemented, with enough
motivation...

If you mean VBScript embedded in Web pages, it is harder, as the HTML
lexer is already crowded with various styles...

> The same goes in my case for the need to have VBscript correctly
> display within XML. The telnet client I use employs a plugin system
> where aliases, triggers, etc. are coded into an XML file and the
> scripting code needed to use them in a script block. I don't really
> understand how lexers work well enough to compile a special one to fix
> these things (and would prefer not having to do so) and there is no
> other simple way to extend things. Having to switch back and forth
> between VBscript and XML display is just annoying, especially since it
> is the VBscript part of the plugin I edit the most often. ;)

Mixed language lexers are hard to do... And combinations are infinite, one
application I saw put Lua code in XML sources... Same of ASP, etc.

> All in all, pre-compiling the lexer is useful for speed, but for
> people like me that are either less than competent or plain lazy it is
> quite inconvenient. lol

For speed, but also for power. I doubt the Perl lexer, and perhaps the
HTML lexer, can be done easily with a bunch of settings in a text file.
The good news, I am thinking about implementing such a "universal" lexer,
and I had some new ideas on the subject.
The bad news: I have very little time to work on it :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)