POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing : Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 5 Nov 2002 08:13:04
Message: <Xns92BD90635953CPhiLho@204.213.191.226>
"Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in

> Why does the patent system exist in the first place? As far as I know,
> it was invented to encourage innovation. Well, it did while the rate
> of innovation was slow in the 19th century. But now in the late 20th
> and early 21st centuries, it is destroying innovation. If governments
> want to encourage innovation (and who doesn't), they should abolish
> the patent system, permanently.

I don't like software patenting, at least for obvious things or algorithms
known for a long time.

I don't have a strong opinion on the subject, but I believe patenting can
be useful to protect intellectual investment.

I mean, an individual or a company invests a lot of time/money to develop
an idea, say a simple device to close a cloth with a quick gesture (using
a lot of small interlocking elements). If patents didn't exists, as soon
as it is commercially released, concurrents can copy the device and sell
it, perhaps at cheaper prices if they are bigger. So the small company or
individual just no longer sell its device, because they are crushed by the
power of the copying company.

With patents, either they are alone to sell their device, or they earn
money by selling licences.

Note: that's not so easy, at least for the individual, since patents cost
a lot of money.

Now, I know I state the obvious, and I am probably too naive, but I still
think patents can be useful, when protecting real intellectual investment.

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)