POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New license for include file : Re: New license for include file Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New license for include file
From: Tom Galvin
Date: 23 Oct 2002 20:23:57
Message: <Xns92B0CEACB932Ftomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in

> "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm sorry, I have no idea about what you're talking about.
>> Making *what* shareware has the same effect on the
>> community as *what*?
>>

> "Voluntary donations" is what I meant by "shareware".  There is little
> difference in the effect on a freeware community between your new
> policy and your old  one.

If I understand correctly, what Rune is planning on doing is releasing the
code under the GPL or a similar Open Source license.  That is not shareware
by any stretch.   You will be free to use the includes either personally or
commercially and never send a penny.  He is not demanding donataions.  He
will welcome them though.  Many projects on sourceforge work that way.

I think that meshes well with the POV-Ray community.  It gives those of us
who do not contribute code a way to still contribute.

If this is what he does with the includes, then I will be happy to send a
thank you.

Tom