POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MIKA Help photons{} : MIKA Help photons{} Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  MIKA Help photons{}
From: Marc Champagne
Date: 21 Sep 2002 09:36:42
Message: <Xns929061C903969POVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
Hi folks!

Need help in understanding the 'photons{ }' directive...

The Scene:

  A light source & camera (but of course)
  A diamond-CSG-object, transparent, some reflection, lots of IOR
  A box-object, no IOR, no reflection (surface on which diamond rests)

If I understand the manual correctly, all surfaces will show photon
caustics by default.

Therefore:

   The box should not need a 'photons{}' directive.
   The diamond should have a 'photons{ target refr on refl on }'

I'm not quite sure if the diamond itself should have a 'collect off'.

From what I gather, all light entering a diamond's crown comes back
out through the crown.  Since the light has bounced at least twice
inside the diamond before leaving again, I believe caustics are in order
therefore the 'collect off' should not be applied to it (what are your
thoughts here?)

The target keyword...

passsage from the manual:

  The density of the photons can be adjusted by specifying the
  spacing_multiplier. If, for example, you specify a spacing_multiplier
  of 0.5, then the spacing for photons hitting this object will be 1/2
  of the distance of the spacing for other objects.

Generally I have seen more photons collected with target .8 rather than
with target .4, should it not be the reverse?

All input and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

--
(MIKA) Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca