POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : patch requests : Re: patch requests Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:06:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: patch requests
From: ingo
Date: 3 Aug 2002 05:38:53
Message: <Xns925F7726E7C55seed7@povray.org>
in news:5c6nkus25q3fe3uj0v4df2ng6u6a4k22td@4ax.com Peter Popov wrote:

>>1. dof_normal.
>
> Moreover, I think it can be done without a patch using a simple
> transformation. All one has to do is shear the camera along the
> direction vector.

Shearing the camera indeed affects the focal plane, I tried this long
ago. The problem with it is that it also affects the scene and also, if
I remember well, the whole thing acts exactly opposite to what one
wants. Using a dof_normal would make the focal blurr "independent" from
the camera position (you could even make a horizontal plane of focus
with everything above and beneath blurred).

>>2. dof_pattern.
>
> Have you tried using a camera normal to achieve that same effect?

Yes, combining focal blur and camera perturbation can give nice effects,
but the result is very different from what I envision with pattern based
blurring.

Ingo